26 March 2008

Towering Fears

Towering Fears©

Accusations of treason brought me to these
Barren stone walls, lacking comfort
Guarded like a thief, my fears take flight.
I oft hear my mother’s ghost echo my present fate! [1]

The Tower walls, a pale bone white
Bloodless countenance, I fear
Within these confines, breathing stale air.
The good Lord my only friend.

My attendant Jane sits and sews in calm,
Near window light, filter’d through the London haze.
“Jane! Bring me paper and quill” I cry,
Meekly, “Yes m’lady, “and jumps at my command.

The pompous plot of Wyatt’s sealed my fate. [2]
That I should appear in his camp: Absurd!
My cork heels tap out heartbeat distress so
Stainless I am, and shall be proved a

Virgin in this tyranny and deceit.
I severed not my loyalty, nor wish for decollation[3].
Alas that I would attain my freedom, from
Traitors gate; the gait I do not tread.

DeAnna Slevin, 2008



[1] Unable to bear King Henry VIII a male heir to the throne, Anne Boylen, Elizabeth’s mother, was accused of witchcraft, incest and adultery, and was imprisoned then executed at the Tower of London, 19 May 1536

[2]After the death of King Edward VI, Sir Thomas Wyatt plotted to overthrow the newly crowned Queen Mary I, and help Elizabeth gain the throne. Elizabeth was imprisoned in the Tower of London under suspect of involvement, which was never proved.

[3] Decollation: to be beheaded or decapitated.


No part of this poem may be reproduced without the author's consent. To do so is theft and plagiarism and will be punishable to the full extent of the law.

1 comment:

Peteruk said...

Evocative. Felt momentum building toward her thought of "decollation" (what a wonderful word. Loved it, thank you.